Old cars represent a threat to the environment. It is best for them to be scrapped and replaced by newer, more efficient vehicles. That is why the government have decided to run the car scrappage scheme. When you scrap an eligible car and buy a new one you could get £2,000 off the OTR price. Whist the idea appears great at first, we at Scrap Car Luton have spotted some pitfalls in the government’s scheme. For a start, you can only buy certain cars through the scheme when you scrap your old car. Strict criteria must also be met by the old scrap car in order to be eligible. The government’s requirements are listed below.
The old, scrap car must:
- Be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or Driver and Vehicle Agency in your name
- Have a valid tax disc when you order your new vehicle
- Have been registered in the United Kingdom (UK) on or before 31st August, 1999
- Be a small van or car weighing no more than 3.5 tonnes
- Still be insured when you purchase your new vehicle
- Have a valid MOT (or within 14 days of expiry) on the old car at the time you order the new one
- Have been registered to you continuously for one year
- Have a UK address on the registration certificate (also known as V5C)
As you can see, the requirements for scrapping a car under the car scrappage scheme are rather harsh. Sadly, this has lead to a lot of disappointment in Luton from people who were hoping to profit from scrapping their car.